People are the answer
OceanCycle focuses on fostering long-term relationships with collection communities. We employ an extensive survey process to understand shared and individual needs and barriers to work. As we identify needs such as food, shelter improvements, protective gear, and cashflow, we adjust OceanCycle’s budget to provide for them.
We also share detailed information with our clients about the needs of the people collecting the material for their products. Our partners then have the opportunity to direct corporate social responsibility (CSR) dollars towards the communities directly involved in their supply chain, resulting in reduced poverty and stronger communities on the front line of ocean plastic prevention.
Healthier communities means more plastic will be collected—and not end up in the ocean.
How we work in communities:
- Assess local community needs
- Develop plans of action to direct resources where they are needed most
- Engage employees of partner companies where appropriate
- Measure our partner’s overall environmental impact and the tonnage of plastic diverted from the ocean.
- Measure the direct impact on communities (jobs and income) and assess indirect impacts such as improvements in nutrition, health and school enrollment
How our work started in Haiti
Stories of impact
Get the latest news. Sign up for our newsletter.