People are the answer
OceanCycle focuses on fostering long-term relationships with collection communities. We employ an extensive survey and audit process to reduce supply chain risk and understand shared and individual community needs. As we identify needs such as food, shelter improvements, protective gear, and cash flow, we adjust OceanCycle’s budget to provide support and implement sustainable solutions.
We share detailed information about community needs with our brand partners, so they have the opportunity to direct their corporate social responsibility (CSR) and philanthropic dollars towards the communities directly involved in their supply chain. This creates additional benefits across the value chain, reduces poverty, and strengthens communities on the frontlines of ocean plastic prevention.
How we work in communities:
- Assess local community needs
- Develop plans of action to direct resources where they are needed most
- Engage employees of partner companies where appropriate
- Measure our partner’s overall environmental impact and the tonnage of plastic diverted from the ocean.
- Measure the direct impact on communities (jobs and income) and assess indirect impacts such as improvements in nutrition, health, and school enrollment